Friday, January 25, 2008

Strong Opinions

As requested, I have "strong" opinions about the sites we've been asked to review during this segment.

The Blog Readability Test: Meh! Typically, not seen as a strong opinion, which is why I included the exclamation point. This is a parlor game as a website, and not terribly interesting at that. Furthermore, the algorithm for how they determine readability is absent. Since they don't tell me how it is being done, I can't trust it. I suspect it has everything to do with certain vocabulary words and nothing to do with anything else. In a sense, this is worthless. You are better off checking this type of thing using Word, which gives you readability and grade level information and shows you how it is determined.

Sketchcast: I will never use this site. It is an amusement, and since I don't draw I don't find it very amusing.

Scrabulous: I love this game and this site. Unfortunately, you better get to this section of Facebook soon as HASBRO, the makers of Scrabble, have filed suit. It seems to me they have a point, and unless there is some amazing settlement, we may not have Scrabulous to play much longer. I've played a total of two games, so I'll likely get over it. You don't miss what you never really had.

Wordshoot: I would have played this game so much as a kid when I was learning to type. This is one of those games that you feel good about playing and good about winning. I'm strongly in favor of it.

YahooAnswers: I abhor this site. I don't want to get my answers from such random people. It is the equivalent of yelling your question in a stadium and hoping someone has a decent answer. There's a reason a lot of the answers aren't very good and it's because there is very little incentive for answering them well. None. Lousy site.

No comments: