Friday, January 25, 2008

Google Docs

Google Docs, should I say it, rocks. It eliminates the need for Microsoft Word for most people. It doesn't have quite as many functions, though I don't think I would notice. I think it's a harbinger of things to come on the Internet. We have to remember that the web is in its infancy. The amount of invention and the rate of invention for items on the web will only increase as more people engage in it and as it becomes a larger part of our economy. Like any emerging industries, there will be booms and busts, but I think it is fair to say that it will continue to evolve. YouTube wasn't even on the radar five years ago, and now it is ubiquitous. Since more and more people will be using web applications for work and for fun, the library absolutely needs to have a strong presence in this area.

No comments: